Welcome to the homepage for the Virtual Scratch Orchestra!
*Please note that the deadline for submissions has now passed. Thanks for taking part and please look out for the final result and our next choice of song to play along to.
For me, music is all about people! People uniting, people sharing and people listening. At a very difficult time, when it is not currently possible to be physically together to share and make music, I invite you to create something together from afar!
The concept is simple: I will upload parts for different pieces, you video yourself playing the part that suits you most, send it in and then I’ll collate all of the videos to make a Virtual Orchestra and I’ll play along live. Please follow the steps below. The first piece will be Where Are We Now by David Bowie.
There is more information below. If you need any assistance or have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. ‘Where Are We Now?’ is one of my favourite songs by David Bowie. It’s hauntingly beautiful and seems very appropriate as we all reflect on the world and what is happening around us. This is the first song he released after a long period of silence in 2013.
How to join in
**Saxophone parts and parts in Eb and Bb will be published on 31st March as well as beginner string parts, clarinet and flute!**
1) Take a look at all of the parts available HERE and find a part that suits you.
2) Download the part. PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE PARTS HERE
3) Video yourself playing your part either playing along to click track available to download. You can use a video recorder, a smartphone or whatever you have available. *Please note there are 8 clicks into Bar 1 on the click track. Please play any note on the fifth click! This is so we can sync everyone together. Please use headphones to listen to the click so that we only hear your part! *
4) Send your video to email@example.com and include the line “I give Universal Music Group permission to use this video” by Friday 10th April at 6pm. Please also state which part you have recorded. Please send via WeTransfer if your file exceeds 15MB. Please remember also to include your name in your submission. www.wetransfer.com
5) Sign up to Jess’ mailing list to make sure you see the final results!
Link to the click track
You can download a click track from this page.
**Please note there are 8 clicks into Bar 1 on the click track. Please play any note or sound on the fifth click (ie the first beat of the second bar!). This is so we can sync everyone together. Please use headphones to listen to the click so that we only hear your part! There will be a video published of how to do this.* *
If I play an instrument that doesn’t have a part, can I play a part in the same key?
Yes! Definitely. We’d like to connect as many people as possible.
Where can I hear David Bowie’s original version?
Right here : ‘Where Are We Now?’
Can I use my smartphone?
Do I need to record my part from the beginning even though I have rests? Yes please. This is so that we can sync all of the videos.
How do I use the click track? There are 8 clicks into Bar 1 on the click track. Please play any note on the fifth click (ie the first bear of the second bar)! This is so we can sync everyone together.
Do I need to wear headphones? Yes. Please use headphones to listen to the click so that we only hear your part!
If I have any issues or questions, who should I contact?
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org